Trigger Systems specializes in aquarium sump manufacturing. They manufacture all sumps here in the USA (Dallas, TX). Trigger Systems build each sump as if it were their own. They take pride in the robustness, efficiency of the design and visual appeal of our sumps. All sumps come with a full top support brace which are made of a solid piece of material. Without this the sump will over time begin to bow out from the humidity and water pressure. They also round instead of squaring the corners which exponentially increases the strength of the corner.
Trigger Systems has taken feedback from their customers through the years to enhance their products. Small things in the design aspect will pay off considerably when putting the sumps to use. A simple example is that they always maximize the distance between the protein skimmer location and the return pump in an effort to minimize the chance for micro bubbles returning to the display. All Trigger Systems sumps come with a refugium section that can be used to house other equipment if a refugium is not desired on the particular setup.
The RUBY series sumps are loaded with features and come with the trademark dark RUBY translucent red material. RUBY sumps have the same designs as the CRYSTAL but have the following differences:
- Same or slightly larger dimensions
- RUBY red coloring to block light and prevent unwanted algae growth in other sections
- Probe holder
Some additional features of the RUBY sumps are:
- Locking Filter Sock Holder
- Adjustable Water Height (ELITE and CUBE models)
- Protein Skimmer section
- Refugium section
Adjustable Water Level
Water level in the sump is adjustable on the following RUBY sumps: Ruby 20C Cube from 7” to 9.5”, Ruby 30E and Ruby 36E Elite from 7” to 10”. This feature is to accommodate for the water height requirements for different protein skimmers.
Locking Filter Sock Holder
Filter socks snap and lock into the filter sock holders to secure the filter sock from falling out when it becomes clogged and needs to be cleaned or replaced. The 4” filter socks are 100 micron rating.
Draw String Tabs
Tabs are located on the top support brace in front of the 1” bulkhead fittings which are included. The purpose of these tabs is to provide a location for tying off 7” diameter filter socks that have draw strings.
All RUBY sumps come with a probe holder that can hold up to three probes. The holes are 0.63” in diameter.
The ELITE models allow for separate water flow through the refugium section allowing for faster flow through the rest of the sump.
Section 1 of the ELITE diagram above is the refugium section. The flow rate through the refugium can be controlled based on the type of algae that is housed there. There are several ways to feed water into the refugium.
- Split or use one of the drain lines from the tank
- Tee off from the return pump
- Use a small pump that sits inside the sump
- If splitting off one of the drains from the tank is the method chosen, then it is recommended to put valves on both lines after the split to control flow. Water flows from the refugium into Section 2.
Section 2 is where the water from the main tank enters through the filter socks. This is the section where the protein skimmer typically sits. Water from this section goes over a baffle and through a foam block filter which is provided and then under a baffle into Section 3.
Section 3 is the return water section back into the tank. This is where the return pump will sit.
Ruby Elite 36" Specifications:
- Dimensions: 36” long x 18” wide x 15” high
- Filter Sock: 2 x 4” filer socks
- Drain/Skimmer Section: 17.5” x 12.5”
- Center/Refugium Section: 22.75” x 8.625”
- Return Pump Section: 19.5” x 8.625”
- Total Water Volume: 41.7 gallons
- Skimmer Water Level: 7”- 10” adjustable